(Abt, 1813 - 1847)
BirthNo birth sources, probably born in Indiana.
MarriageEstimated date, probably married in Indiana, then moved to Lake County Illinois
Residence"This property afterwards passed into the hands of Titus Pettibone, and the creek came to bear his name, although there is much force in the suggestion of Mr. Thomas Dwyer, that its name should be that of the pioneer Swain".
CivilPurchased 61.9 acres at $1.25 per acre in Lake County Illinois
CivilA land record dated 1842 and a land record dated 1844 may be the same record for 61.9 acres at $1.25 per acre purchased by Benjamin Paul Swain in Lake County, Illinois
ResidenceFrom a newspaper mentioning Benjamin's work on a temperance committee. The Porcupine wrote on June 11, 1845: 'It is a fact too notorious to be concealed that our town contains seven places where liquor is sold by ‘the small,’ and two, in the quantity, and yet we have not even one church.'
DeathDeth cause is unknown, he was younger, her had a will ready.
BurialFrom Benjamin's probate, a black walnut coffin is billed on September 1847, he was buried in it. burial location is unknown.
ProbateWidow Polly was executor her two brothers James and John also signed the probate papers which included an inventory.
3. Ancestry.com, 1840 United States Federal Census U.S. Census, Population Schedule, NARA Microfilm, Ancestry.com Operations, Inc, Provo, UT, USA; 2010, Year: 1840; Census Place: Lake, Illinois; Roll: 62; Page: 92; Image: 187; Family History Library Film: 0007643.
4. State of Illinois, Illinois, Public Land Purchase Records, 1813-1909. Ancestry.com Operations Inc; Provo, UT, USA; 1999, Index 25 May 1842, Section NEFR, Price per Acre 1.25, Total Price 77.38, 61.90 total acres..
5. Ancestry.com, U.S. General Land Office Records, 1796-1907 (Name: Ancestry.com Operations Inc; Location: Provo, UT, USA; Date: 2008;), 1844 Jul 10 land purchase Illinois Document No 9753.
7. Ancestry.com, Illinois, Wills and Probate Records, 1772-1999 Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.; Provo, UT, USA; 2015, Lake Probate case files, box No. 1, files 1-118, 1840-1849 image 997 of 1776. Benjamin Swain, no will, an inventory, Polly is executor.
8. Ancestry.com, Illinois, Wills and Probate Records, 1772-1999 Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.; Provo, UT, USA; 2015, Lake Probate case files, box No. 1, files 1-118, 1840-1849 image 997 of 1776. Benjamin Swain, no will, an inventory, Polly is executor.